Here are a few ways to help determine whether you’re experiencing depression:
you're not alone
- One in six New Zealanders will experience serious depression, at some time in their life.
- Approximately one in seven young people in New Zealand will experience a major depressive disorder before the age of 24. The Lowdown website has been created to help youth understand and deal with depression.
- Women have higher rates of depression than men (one in five women, compared with one in eight men, will have depression over their lifetime).
- Rural men have higher rates of depression than urban men.
it is serious
- Depression is one of the most common reasons that people are absent from work, or are unable to run a home.
- The World Health Organisation estimates that by the year 2020, depression will be the second most common cause of ill health and premature death worldwide.
- Depression is the most common risk factor for suicidal behaviour (it’s estimated that depression increases the risk of suicide by 20 times).