Here are a few ways to help determine whether you’re experiencing depression:
you're not alone
- One in six New Zealanders will experience serious depression, at some time in their life.
- Approximately one in seven young people in New Zealand will experience a major depressive disorder before the age of 24. The Lowdown website has been created to help youth understand and deal with depression. SPARX helps young people learn skills to deal with feeling down, depressed or stressed.
- Women have higher rates of depression than men (one in five women, compared with one in eight men, will have depression over their lifetime).
- This page has been developed to help farmers understand and deal with depression.
it is serious
- Depression is one of the most common reasons that people are absent from work, or are unable to run a home.
- The World Health Organisation estimates that by the year 2020, depression will be the second most common cause of ill health and premature death worldwide.
- Depression is the most common risk factor for suicidal behaviour (it’s estimated that depression increases the risk of suicide by 20 times).